Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Still Waiting...

Yes, we are still waiting around for him to come. I have been to the hospital to receive non-stress tests to make sure he is okay. He is doing great. He has all the amniotic fluid he needs and is moving around. As far as he is concerned...life is grand. I go back to do the same tests on Thursday and then...inevitably will most likely start being induced on Sunday night...

Life for me on the other hand is filled with a little bit of worry and anxiety...are those the same thing? However, despite these feelings I am really enjoying myself. Grandma and Grandpa Unsicker came from Utah to help with the baby. Grandma and I have been planning this since Alicia first announced she was pregnant over a year and a half ago.

Well, since there is no baby to take care of we have been making food, cleaning my house, and playing a lot. Grandma and I have beat Jonathan and Grandpa at Pinochle 8 out of 9 times!! Needless to say, the boys don't want to play us anymore.

Example of my hormone levels going crazy...

I got another really great hand and Grandma was able to compliment my "meld" with a run. So following a "Cheeks cheats" from Gramps Jonathan says, "Abby, I am not talking to you for the rest of the night." I completely broke down. I was bawling and it was really not a big deal under normal circumstances. So I cried through about 3 tricks and then when the boys gave up, I started to cry again... It was quite hilarious.

Monday, I was a week overdue and this is what happened...(Note: I was also canning peaches and making peach/blackberry jam throughout all of these events. It was a very long and busy day.)

Background: I don't like talking on the phone or dealing with strangers. It is really hard for me.

Jonathan and I needed to sell one of our couches on Craigslist because it wouldn't fit in our apartment and Emily, who had the couh for almost two years, was moving from Ann Arbor. I took the initiative to put it on Craigslist to get things going. Then, I was the one "put in charge" of organizing the mass amounts of response emails and scheduling. Normally, this wouldn't have been that difficult if the couch was at my house. But I had to schedule around Emily's tenant who I didn't know, could'nt contact, and didn't speak English!! Thankfully, I had some loyal requesters who waited since last Thursday to finally see the couch on Monday.

After Jonathan and I came back from the hospital we went to Emily's apartment to show the couch. Yes, we finally got in by asking a maintenance man. The people wanted it!!! It wouldn't fit in their car so Em offered the use of Mom's Durango. Jonathan helped load it, drive it over to their apartment and attempt to get it into the elevator. It didn't fit. I was waiting in the car and when I saw Jonathan next it looked like someone struck his face with a 2x4. It was all red/bloody and swollen on his right side. The guy he was helping had a hard time controlling the couch and whacked it into Jonathan's face. So, not only did it not fit in the elevator or fit in the stairwell up to the 7th floor...my husband looked like he got into a fight. After a moment of concern my first thought was..."good thing the baby is content I want Jonathan's face to heal before he is born or else I am only going to be able to take profile pictures of him holding the baby!!" It is healing well...

Back to the couch. Jonathan had to go to his golf lesson. (Yes, he is taking golf lessons so that he can learn and be a good shmoozer in the business world...consider it "professional development"). So, we left the couch in a random apartment lobby without the cushions with a sign that said, "Moving, please don't touch." The couple ended up not wanting the couch. Which I think was really rude after we donated our time and gas to move it to their place. They should have taken responsibility for it. It wasn't my fault he didn't measure things beforehand. So, Jonathan was really frustrated and in a bad mood which had a huge effect on me because he is never like that. I wasn't mad that he was upset...I just didn't really know how to deal with it. It had an effect on me and my mood as well. So, I needed to try again to get someone to buy my couch that day and meet me at a random apartment lobby...

We found someone who wanted to come look at it and was willing to pay close to the asking price. Now, I had to contact the couple who didn't want the couch in the first place to get the cushions before I could show it. Grandma, Grandpa, and I (with a deck of 5 crowns) went over in the evening to go get everything organized with the cushions and wait for the prospective buyers. We were supposed to meet the couple at 6:30 but they never came or called to tell us that they were running late. So, starving by this point, Grandpa and I left Grandma and went to go get Chinese take out. When we came back nothing had happened. So we sat around the bolted down coffee table on the floor and ate our Chinese in a random apartment lobby because the bolted down couch wouldn't move closer!! What a sight we were!! Finally over an hour later the couple returned and eventually the prospective buyer came to look at the couch...she was over an hour late as well!! It turned out that we had a couch buying triangle. The couple had gone to get our prospective couch buyers couch after they couldn't have ours and the prospective couple ended up buying ours. She wanted it for $20 less. Which, by this point, I was happy to do. Then when she went to get the cash she didn't have enough. She was $4 dollars short. She offered to go to an ATM, probably expecting us to say, "no, it's only 4 dollars" when Grandma said, " Okay, we will follow you." So we followed this girl in a truck half way across the city to get 4 dollars because of the "principle of the thing." "People are always trying to nickel and dime you"-according to Grandma. Well, after being offered a ten dollar bill at the ATM I mentioned that I hadn't received the rest of the money and the prospective buyer swore she gave it to me. She had to look into her purse and realize that she hadn't!! I couldn't believe it. Then, not wanting to offend her, I didn't count the money in front of her. When I got to the car I realized that she had given me $136 instead of the $130. I felt really bad and wanted to call her but by this point in the evening I didn't have the ambition to deal with people anymore.

It was a blessing to sell our couch, the situation was horrible, but the memory of playing 5 crown and eating chinese food on the floor of some random lobby and playing cards with G and G was well worth it in the end I guess. I can deal with Jonathan's face I am sure it will heal before the baby decides to come and see us.

Grandma and Grandpa are leaving to go see my mom tomorrow. I will be home alone. I don't think the time will pass as easily now. Everyone can feel free to call me. I am not frustrated so don't feel bad calling. I would love to chat!!

3 comments:

Tim & Alicia said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh
So glad you blogged this! You are probably laughing about all of it already, but it will be more hilarious in months to come.

I'm glad you have been having so much fun with D&C, you guys will have to find a new game to play when they are done visiting Cheri. Hopefully it will be playing with that silly baby boy.

Phil and roxy said...

i love that i can hear you talk when you were saying that. That was hilarious about you crying. Oh i have silly hormone stories too. I'm sorry about the craziness. no fun

Megan said...

Oh no! I just read this post, I totally should have called you Thursday to help your time pass by. Alicia told me about your laboring date on Monday - I think it's PERFECT!!!! considering the holiday it is. Awesome. The cards/emotional/pinochle with boys story is my favorite! And I think you should post a picture of Jonathan's face . . I want to see the 'damage'. He is getting golf lessons to play with the big boys!?! Wow, living the life . . . And you and Gma planned that whenever you'd have a baby they'd come to help out - because alicia got pregnant? I'm confused. but lucky you. Hope tomorrow goes well for you! Love you Abs!