Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oral-Motor Skills

So I may have gotten carried away. I purchased a booster seat (deep red and tan) for 12 dollars brand new on sale. Then, when Isaac turned 4 months old I noticed he was eyeing everyone eating food and was sitting up pretty well unsupported. So I decided to give Isaac some rice cereal. The first time was great. He was manipulating the bolus, swallowing well, and didn't have bad tongue thrust. He even liked grabbing at the spoon and bowl.

Then he started hating it. For a couple days he would humor me a little bit but would start refusing the spoon. So I have stopped. I decided I was getting ahead of myself, even though he had the skills. He is still my little baby. So for the next month or so, as long as he isn't starving, I am going to exclusively feed him. Why do we always look towards the next milestone and disregard the current level of functioning...did I really just type "current level of functioning?" Yikes...

3 comments:

Phil and roxy said...

He was doing really well. You could try apple juice instead of water or whatever you put in it to help it taste better. What a big boy.

Danielle Hall said...

Hahahaha current level of functioning. I think it has to do with our training... we're always thinking ahead (ok you've got that in medial position at phrase level, let's up it to sentence).

He is a cutie though!

Sarah said...

I did the same thing with Aly! with Josh, six months snuck up on me before solid food even crossed my mind, I just wanted him to stay a cute baby forever I guess.... Adding a different liquid does work, even mix milk with it because that is what he is used to. Good luck! :) Come play with me sometime! I really don't mind drop in visitors!